Famous Quotations by Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jilani R.A
And your Lord says “Call upon Me, I will respond to
you” (Quran 40:60)
Sayings of ‘Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani Rahmatullahi
1. Consider the feeling that rules your heart, for
then you will understand what you are worth.
2. The greatest happiness is not being dominated by
3. Our enemies are our greatest moral teachers,
becuase they thrust our faults in our faces.
4. It is dangerous for a human being to be too
5. The purpose of education is not to make a
machine, but to make the human being.
6. Do you wish to be the master of a good servant,
with whom you will be satisfied? If so, you must
perform service for yourself.
7. You must keep your judgement clear of the mists
of vain conceit.
8. Compared to the pleasure given by granting
pardon, the pleasure given by exacting revenge is
very faint indeed.
9. You must be such an ardent lover of truthfulness
that every statament you make assumes the quality of
a solemn oath.
10. When your soul is bored you must work.
11. Our strength is much greater than our will. In
order to conceal this shortcoming, whenever we
cannot perform a task, we say : “It is not
12. The human being is not in control of his
feelings, but he is in control of his movements.
13. We have been created to rely on one another. If
a stone is removed from a wall, as if to demonstrate
the risk of that wall’s collapsing, and if one of us
withdraws, we are left face to face with the danger
if its collapse.
14. The remedy from poverty is not to bear grudges
against the rich.
15. Do not trust a person who does not trust
16. The human being obtains some of his misfortunes
by failing to attend to his own comfort.
17. You must not do anything while you are angry.
Would the sail be hoisted in the storm ?
18. When a persons authority is great, his effort
and his caution must also be great.
19. To be a great man is easier than being a good
20. Are you not fond of life? If not, you must not
waste your time, because life is a garment made from
the cloth of time.
21. The display of fame most often supresses the
voice of conscience.
22. Blood is washed with water, not blood.
23. Happiness does not exist in a place where
justice does not exist.
24. Your most real enemies are the greed, the envy
and the jealousy that live in your heart. These are
the soldiers of the instigating self (an-nafs al-ammara).
25. For others it is justice, while for us it is
26. The fly does not enter the mouth that is shut.
27. We have not invented courtesy in order to
showoff the goodness that does not exist in
28. Success is a letter delivered by three mailmen.
These mailmen are competence, endeavour and good
29. To reach and pass by the goal is the same as not
30. Nothing can kill the power of the lower self,
but everything serves to enhance it.
31. Those who make fun of you, those who try to get
rid of you, they are the people whose applause you
most often seek to obtain.
32. The thoughts of women are constant. From this
point of view, the clever person does not shun the
company of women.
33. Cowardice is the one thing that cannot be
repaired by any means.
34. To live without commotion provides consolation
for an unsuccessful life.
35. Hope is the money given on loan by happiness.
36. A man who has no confidence in himself can
37. Smiling is the shield of the bashful.
38. The best of men is the person who is most
beneficial to others.
39. That which joins minds together is telling the
truth. Lying serves no purpose other than seperation.
40. Concience is the best of the books of morality,
so we must always make reference to it.
41. If we do not stick to the path that He has
shown, the worship of Allah is no more than an empty
42. The success of a human being is measured by the
effort he has exerted in order to achieve that
43. Only great spirits experience the triumph of
44. Trying to discover the faults of other people
amounts to making no effort to deal with those in
45. People who miss the opportunity are many, but
there is no one whom opportunity misses.
46. When someone rises high, he raises all spirits
and this world too.
47. Good fortune is dependent on doing good work.
48. If you claim to have understood a reality, you
must only do so after putting that reality into
practice in your own life.
49. The best means of taking revenge on a man is not
to resemble that man.
50. A heart that does not believe is like a cage
that has no bird inside it.
51. So long as your heart does not support what is
on your tongue, you cannot take a step toward the
Lord of Truth.
52. O my Lord ! Enter the house of our heart without
the slightest hesitation, because there is nothing
in it whatsoever apart from the pain of separation
53. When you have committed a sin, you must not lose
hope of Allah’s mercy. You must use the water of
repentance to wash away the dirt of sin that has
been smeared upon you.
54. The sun of those who were before us (before
Islam) have set. Our sun will remain forever in the
highest places of the sky, and it will never set.
55. The whole of your aspiration and endeavour must
not be for simple things like eating, drinking,
clothing and marriage. That is because these are not
the goal, but only the means by which to arrive at
56. Four things are the basic means by which the
heart is improved and set in proper order :
a) paying very careful attention to every morsel
that is eaten.
b) setting time aside for worship.
c) protecting the charismatic marvel (by keeping it
hidden and trying not to broadcast it around)
d) refrainingh from things that keep the human being
at a distance from Allah.
57. While eating lawful food is a radiant light,
eating unlawful food is a suffocating darkness.
Eating unlawful food kills the heart, whereas the
lawful morsel brings the heart to life.
58. You must not take conceited pride in any deed,
because deeds are measured on the basis of their
final seal (their ultimate condition)
59. While on the ocean of this world you must be
vigilant. You must be extremely sensitive, because
many people are drowned and lost in that ocean.
This brings to the end of these fine sayings of our
Master Shaikh Abd Al-Qadir al-Jilani (may Allah, the
Independant Sovereign, ennoble him).
Allah is the Guide to the path of correctness, and
to Him is the return and the journey home.
Extracted from “The Summary of Religious Knowledge
And Pearls Of the Heart” by Sheikh ‘Abd- Al-Qadir
al-Jilani (may Allah santify his inner-most being)